Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Taking the Madness to the Parking Lot

For those of you who don't know, our oldest daughter is a competition gymnast. We spend 3 to 5 nights a week at the gymnastics center. Each night we go to the gym, she has practice for at least 3 hours. This is one aspect of life that has changed so much and caused us to have to reschedule our workouts.

Yesterday as I was picking up Melisa, I spotted an empty field behind the gymnastics center. I asked the gym management if it was their property and if they would oppose to me working out in it. It does belong to them and they said I could have at it. :-)

Today, when I loaded the girls up for gym, I also loaded up the kettlebells. It was strength training day in my Ross Enamait challenge. My workout consisted of double kettlebell split snatches, double clean and push presses, one armed bench presses, plyometric pushups, wall sits, and jumping squats. To top it off, Ross recommends one armed swings.

I must say, I am feeling good after this one! I worked my double snatches with my 25 pound kettlebells. I managed to use Clark's 36's for the clean and push press. When I got home I realized I was push pressing more than half of my body weight! :-) I was bench pressing with a 36 lb kettlebell, however by the last round I had to finish with my 25's. I did one armed swings with the 36 to top it off...I would have used heavier weights but I didn't bring a heavier one to the gym.

I actually felt pretty strong after this workout. I can tell that I am getting the strength and endurance back from what I lost this summer. That makes me smile!

Happy training!

No comments: